Sunday, June 30, 2013

My Reaction: Nightmare on Elm Street

Nightmare on Elm Street is and always shall be one of my favorite horror film series. This doesn't mean it was all bad. Starting with Nightmare on Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors dark humor was ingrained into the story. Still I enjoyed the first two part of 'The Dreams' Trilogy' which consisted of 3, 4 and 5: The Dream Warrior, The Dream Masters, and The Dream Child. The reason I enjoyed numbers 3, and 4 of the series was it had interwinding storylines that occurred in the original Nightmare on Elm Street and from 3, and 4. It had a ongoing story that spanned several films and several characters story arcs.  

Here starting with The Dream Child the dark humor was replace with just bad punned humor mix with tiny bit of dark humor. The next film Freddy's Dead took this and made more of a comedy with a bit of horror. The next film Wes Craven's A New Nightmare was a semi reboot that brought the series back into being a true horror film. This was a good step, but sadly Freddy vs Jason went back into the dark humor and it paired up with Jason Voorhees.

Lastly the Nightmare on Elm Street reboot. This one to me was a very good reboot, as it took what was great about the series and told a good story. It may had more dark humor then Wes Craven's New Nightmare, but the dark humor it used was done well. This was a contrast to the rest of the series that used dark humor. 

I will continue with my personally review on each of the Nightmare on Elm Street films and Friday the 13th films as the horror genre is my favorite genre, but I just wanted to write my piece on the Nightmare on Elm Street series as a whole before I reviewed each movie.   

No comments:

Post a Comment